in Wordpress Themes by arkofhope (900 points)
I'm trying to understand if there is a way the Page Name won't be displayed on the actual page (below the menu)

I think this is an easy question that I'm just not getting: I set up to have 3 columns on TT.....where do I go in WP to create or make those 3 columns appear?

8 Answers

by keithadv (1.4k points)
I'm trying to understand if there is a way the Page Name won't be displayed on the actual page (below the menu)

There isn't a very good option in TT for this right now. However, it has been requested and is hopefully proposed for a future version (soon, I hope!) You can find a WordPress plugin that will hide page titles and that might solve your problem for now. However, it's a function usually found in Theme Options, which is where the TT folks should put it.

There is an interim solution that you can do right now. I think it's a little extreme but on the other hand I always hide page titles so maybe not. This is from Artisteer support. Before you export your template, go to File->Preferences-->CSS Prefix. Put the following in that box; it will have the effect of hiding everything with an <H1> wrapper, which is the default for Page Titles:

#ttr_content_margin h1
{
display:none;
}

Hope that helps!
I think this is an easy question that I'm just not getting: I set up to have 3 columns on TT.....where do I go in WP to create or make those 3 columns appear?

IIRC, you're trying to make those three columns on your home page, right? Mind if I make a suggestion? Consider using a drag-and-drop page builder plugin to make page templates instead of the theme designer. Once you get the hang of them, they're so much faster than trying to do it on the theme-building side. I've used Aqua Page Builder, but that's because it came with a theme I downloaded. I also have Visual Composer but that one you have to pay for.

You can find the Aqua plugin on wordpress.org for free. There is another free one I haven't tried but it's been getting even better reviews than Aqua--it's called Page Builder by Site Origin

When you design your theme in TT, make sure you create an extra page template that's clean--no sidebars. After you upload your theme, you can use a page builder to create numerous, distinctively laid-out pages by just dragging, dropping, and writing. You can knock out those three columns, easy-peasy. I hope this is helpful.
by arkofhope (900 points)
Keith,
Thank you very much for your help! I'll try to html txt for the page name.
I saw in a WP video, when making a static page to make a new "fake" page along with a Welcome page .....sounds like what you're talking about in TT; I just haven't seen how to add pages in TT. - or is that their PageTemplate 1 & PageTemplate 2 ?

And my husband found & likes Authority Pro -- more intuitive, drag & drop. Unfortunately it takes over the design I made in TT.
I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

Have a good weekend!!
Keith,
Thank you very much for your help! I'll try to html txt for the page name.

Yes! LOL! I was just quoting (badly and quickly) from a post support had made earlier and I didn't proofread. Yes, just plug the code I gave you into the "Custom CSS" box and it will save along with your template. (Do make sure that "ttr_" is in the "CSS Prefix" box, however.)

What it does is hide anything you put between the Heading 1 tags (<H1></H1>) in your posts or pages. Which means you also can't use that tag in your own writing anywhere on your site or it won't show up! Just use H2 through H6, though. I've found that's plenty.

Keith,I saw in a WP video, when making a static page to make a new "fake" page along with a Welcome page .....sounds like what you're talking about in TT; I just haven't seen how to add pages in TT. - or is that their PageTemplate 1 & PageTemplate 2 ?

Let's make sure we're clear on terms. "Posts" and "Pages" are things you create in WordPress. I know there are programs (such as Artisteer) that appear to let you create WordPress content within the program but I'd advise against it. It usually turns out badly!

Use a theme designer to design your theme's look and feel; create content in WordPress.

What you can create in TT, and TT makes it quick and easy, are Page Templates. Page Templates are a way to make slight, but very useful, layout variations in your page layout.

Let's make one because that's the best way to see how it all works.

Start with the theme you're creating now. In TT, look at the options under "General" and click "Add/Edit Page Template".

A pop-up menu will appear asking if you want to Add, Modify, or Delete a template, and you will see PageTemplate 1 and PageTemplate 2 in the window. Click on PageTemplate 1 and select Modify. TT will ask you to rename it. (That's the only "modification" you can do here! They should call the selection "Rename" instead of "Modify." :D )

I like to use the name "Canvas" because it makes me feel artistic and clever. So just type in "Canvas" and click OK.

Now when you look under the menu bar, you now see that you have index, Canvas, and Page Template 2. "Index" is highlighted because that's the theme you've been creating.

Click on Canvas so it becomes highlighted, and everything on your menu becomes disabled except General, and everything within General is disabled except Layout and Sidebars. Why is that? Because you've already designed what your site is going to look like and Canvas (as well as Page Template 2, etc.) will pick up all of those features. The only change you can make to Canvas (or any Page Template you make) in TT is Header, Menu, Footer configuration and the Sidebar configuration. You can't change anything about their appearance, only whether they are present or not present, and where they are on the page.

As I said above, we're not actually going to create pages here--you'll do that in WordPress. We're just creating different ways that our pages could look. And if you think about it, these Template layouts alone can give you a lot of variety.

For this template, let's leave Layout (Header, Menu, and Footer) as they are, which will match the rest of your site. But under Sidebars, let's choose "None." Now, even though a page on your site that uses the Canvas template will retain the Header, Menu, and Footer you designed, the rest of that page will essentially be a blank canvas for you to design.

Now export your WordPress theme and upload. Within WordPress, open a new page for editing. Look for a box that says "Page Attributes" with a pull-down menu that says "Template." You'll see your options are Default Template (that's the one TT has been calling "index" and is exactly the way you designed it), Canvas (which you just created), and Page Template 2 (which has just been going along for the ride).

(If you've already uploaded a version of your theme before, you might also see Page Template 1, which was left over from earlier uploads.)

Select "Canvas" and open that page for editing. You'll see it has no sidebars, no matter how you designed your site.

Do as you please!

I don't know if you find all this useful or not. If you do and want to know how to use Aqua Page Builder to throw three text columns into Canvas, let me know.
by
Very informative post! Thank you KeithAdv for this tutorial, it's very clear!

Cheers,
Frédéric
In TT, look at the options under "General" and click "Add/Edit Page Template".

You are very kind to give me all that info; and I'm gonna do it today. Step 1, tho, I cannot find. My husband & I looked all over for an "add/edit...." or "options" in "General" & all the others.

My TT shows it's version 3, tho I know we've downloaded a newer version.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: WAIT WAIT.....figured I'd keep reading your post for now........think I've found it under "Page Template" where it says "Add.....modify.....delete." SHWOO

**Okay. Page Name below menu bar gone. :arrow: Now it has a smaller font saying: Home >> Testimonials (or whatever page it is).
:?: Looked at Aqua PB & PB by site origin.....am leaning towards Site Origin, but you like Aqua PB better?
Keith,
Yes it is very helpful. Thank You! I put in the Aqua PB plugin & tried a little of it.
I don't understand how you use that to get, say, a form. I need a form where I can put in questions / answers -- I ask have several questions that they'll need to answer.

I'll keep playin' with Aqua PB.
Form design is a little bit different. I don't think Aqua does that.

Do you want their answers e-mailed to you? Take a look at the Contact Form 7 plugin. (Also free on wordpress.org. Just search for it and install it from your plugins page.) It's probably the most popular free form designer out there.

You might find this tutorial useful.
Interested in localizing/Translating TemplateToaster Software in your native language in exchange of a Pro License ? Contact Us