in General Discussion by keithadv (1.4k points)
I've been playing with the demo and trying to see if it is a good replacement for my current theme creator.

One of my biggest problems with TemplateToaster is regarding typefaces.

What I EXPECT to see in TT is an option to select either Web-safe typefaces or Google Web fonts for my theme. Instead, the "Typography" selector simply opens a list of installed fonts on my machine! Isn't that a bit useless? The preview window is way too small. It's important for me to be able to easily create a theme with only the standard safe Web fonts because some clients need that.

In addition, when I click on "Google Web Font," the window that opens up appears to be on the Google fonts page, but ALL of the typefaces are displayed in the same Roman font. (When I go to that page from any regular browser, the fonts are displayed correctly.) So, choosing them from within TT itself is nearly impossible, since I have no way of knowing what they actually look like. Am I the only one with this problem?

Web design is like any other design--how you handle type can make the difference between something that looks great or a disaster.

So, am I not using the program correctly or does it need some major improvement in the typeface area?

9 Answers

by unglood (260 points)
Re: In addition, when I click on "Google Web Font," the window that opens up appears to be on the Google fonts page, but ALL of the typefaces are displayed in the same Roman font.

Bump. +1
by keithadv (1.4k points)
I found a temporary workaround for this bug.

(By the way, I have since decided to invest in these guys and am now using the developer-licensed version, but I think this will probably work with the demo as well...)

Anyway, when the Google fonts window opens up, click on different Script in the drop down menu (even Latin Extended will do) and then back to Latin. The fonts will now show correctly on the screen.

However, it's a moot point for me, because after two days of fiddling I still can't figure out how to get any Google font back into my template! The copy and paste procedure they ask you to do on the Google page does nothing as far as I can see.
Okay, I still maintain that typefaces are a mess in this application, BUT...once you copy and paste the Google Web font as the program asks, it doesn't appear in the TT app, but does display when you select a browser from the Quick Access Toolbar to preview the current template.

Even if you save and reload the template, you can see the template with the new font in place only in the preview browser, but not in TT itself. Awkward...
by unglood (260 points)
@KeithAdv

Thanks for the run through. Appreciated. Saves me 15 minutes!

Re: ...once you copy and paste the Google Web font as the program asks, it doesn't appear in the TT app, but does display when you select a browser from the Quick Access Toolbar to preview the current template.....

Bump. +1
by unglood (260 points)
Re "....when the Google fonts window opens up, click on different Script in the drop down menu (even Latin Extended will do) and then back to Latin. The fonts will now show correctly on the screen....."

Not really being a fan of G. in any way (shocking I know) I've never used their fonts. Is the behavior you describe above particular to using TT to view the G. fonts - the TT script or whatever?

Thx.
by
Unglood nice to see you on the forum.

I totally agree. Most programs that deal with any sort of fonts to be displayed for the web should have default web fonts listed first: Andale Mono, Arial, Arial Black, Comic Sans MS, Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Times New Roman, Trebuchet MS, Verdana

The reason for this is simple. Most people have these font variations on PC and Mac and will increase the likelihood that content will be displayed similarly across the web.

Second should be Google Fonts

Followed by all system fonts (not a good idea to use these).
Very much agree. I focus on this because I'm a stickler for type. It just has to be beautiful.

I'm still not 100% comfortable with Google Fonts yet, either. I'm starting to use them slowly but when my design partner wants an unusual typeface I'd still rather have her do it in photoshop and let me slice that image file in.

Saying that, this is an area where the "other program" still has an advantage over TemplateToaster.

The other program lists the Web fonts first, as it should be. If you want Google fonts, you open font options in that same selection box. (I don't know how it populates that list. If it is hardcoded, then you aren't seeing any new Google fonts, however.) You see a small example of the G-Fonts as you scroll through and when you select one, the font is displayed in your theme and now appears in the pulldown list as the current face for that element. Great!

TT simply lists the system fonts in its font selector. (Ouch). When you do select the Google Web Font tool, there is a bug in TT pop-up window that requires you to refresh that window to see the actual fonts (my switching-script-trick will do that). Then you have to clip the name of the font into at least one of the text boxes on the right. But you STILL won't see the font in your template (which means you can't be all that accurate on spacing)--you have to preview it in a browser from the Quick Access Toolbar. AND, the font name doesn't show up in any font list! So, if you've changed the header font to a Google font, the next time you open up your template, you won't be able to tell either by looking at the template in front of you or Header->Title->Typography->Font Family tab. The only way you'll know is by previewing it or opening that Google Web Font window again. (Whatever you pasted into the text boxes there remains and is saved with your template.)

Except for that first bug, it sort of works but I can't think of a more cumbersome way of going about it! However, at the rate this app is improving I'm not worried.
by unglood (260 points)
@KeithAdv.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Appreciated. +1

On a side note, I'm pretty sure, might be wrong but, this and the other are the same.

Next year, maybe this, that and the other will all be synonymous!!
The more I play with this program, the more I see the great thinking behind it. I'm really enjoying it.

I'm a little less confused about how TemplateToaster uses typefaces but maintain that UI makes things difficult--both to understand and to implement. System fonts have to go, and Google Web font selection needs major repair.

I'll end my typeface rant with one other suggestion. Right from the beginning, under the General tab, the potential for confusion for new users begins. One section is called "Type and Layout," and it is right next to Typography and Google Web Font, where you pick the main typefaces for the site.

I suggest renaming that first tab something like "Template and Width Style." The word "Type" is confusing here.

Secondly, that first "Typography" selector (under the General tab) should be differentiated from all the others that appear in other sections, because this is where you are selecting the global header and body typefaces. Personally, I would call this something like "Default Font Set" or similar so the user knows this is where you start in determining your site's default header and content typefaces.

Those are just my impressions, however. Take it all with a grain of salt!
Interested in localizing/Translating TemplateToaster Software in your native language in exchange of a Pro License ? Contact Us